Friday, March 31, 2017

Mini-Capsule Challenge || Creation 2 :: Free Spirit Tunic Using Remnants!



I sort of hit a road block the other night when I realized that I hadn't quite planned my P4P/M4M capsule challenge fabrics as well as I should. Several people in the group are finished with their first mini-capsules (hello speed sewers?) and are moving onto mini-capsules for their children. I may be a fast sewer, but I am not that fast!

To break through the "block", I laid out coordinating fabrics from my stash on my kitchen table, and spent some time piecing together what I should make. I drew out a small diagram, sketching silouhettes & pairing fabrics with them. I tried to keep versatility in mind, so we'll see how well this plays out. However my planning session made me feel like I had finally made some progress! It's important that items included in a capsule wardrobe coordinate with each other, so you get the most flexibility out of your pieces.



I settled on jumping into making this olive/army green Free Spirit Tank (in tunic length). I'm so happy I did! I think the fabric is a polyester/spandex blend, found in the remnants section at Joann. It was barely enough fabric to make this shirt. I probably purchased it for about $4? It was NOT easy to pin and sew, and I had to really play with my serger settings to get it to feed into the machine properly. I'm so proud of the results, and the arm/neck bands turned out great!


Prior to the capsule challenge being announced, I made myself two pairs of bell bottoms that I hacked from the Peg Legs pattern (for a how-to visit here). Both of these bells are pants I will wear a lot this spring, and I'm making another pair as part of my mini-capsule! So I knew I needed to make a tunic style tank to pair with the bells. I love this length because I can layer it underneath other shirts, OR I can wear it alone over pants. It's also a great length for me to tie a knot in too!

It looks great with the Rudraksha Talisman that I made last year (currently listed in the Etsy shop). It's fun knowing that I made nearly everything I have on in this photo!


Thanks for following along as I add items to this challenge! Here's to hoping I can put together 7 more by April 10th! 




SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig