Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Mini-Capsule Challenge || Creation 1 :: Mama Quinn Dress Using Thrifted + Upcycled Fabrics!



I finished my first piece for the M4M + P4P Mini-Capsule Challenge that I posted about the other day! The challenge is to create a mini-capsule wardrobe for spring by April 10th, which is 9 pieces in 14 days. This is a pretty ambitious project for me, but considering how quickly these patterns go together, it's absolutely possible. I can generally squeeze in at least one piece a day, and yesterday I  squeezed in my first capsule creation.  

What is a mini-capsule wardrobe? Your basics, that you can mix and match easily. I love the idea, and am so glad Made for Mermaids and Patterns for Pirates decided to put on this little contest! 


This is a scoop neck Mama Quinn slip dress from Made for Mermaids. The patterns is now one of my favorites. This is the third time I've used it, but first time sewing up a dress. I struggled to pick which length I wanted the final dress to be, so hemming took longer than the actual construction of the dress! 



The fabric came from a $3 maxi dress that I found at the thrift store last week. The print was calling to me from the dress rack! Thankfully, it was half price that day, so I snagged a lot of fabric for a steal. It's a rayon challis, and drapes so nicely. It's really breathable for summer. I love when the facing peeks out at the top, so I used an old shirt that I outgrew, made from a peach rayon crepe fabric. So this dress truly cost me just $3!


I tend to work on my sewing projects during in-between time. I am rarely sitting down, so I "fill-in" my time by interjecting some sewing work here and there throughout my week. This afternoon I'll probably cut out my next pattern for the capsule challenge!









SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig