Sunday, April 2, 2017

Mini-Capsule Challenge || Creation 4 :: Upcycled + Remnant Slim Fit Raglan


Yesterday was the first time I've ever sewn two items of clothing in one day. I feel extremely accomplished right now! Late last night I finally figured out what to do for my next mini-capsule piece. 



I always keep my fabric stash full of old clothes, waiting to be cut up. One such item was an old Target Maternity Dress that I've held onto in a storage bin for 6 YEARS. The first dress I made was the inspiration fabric for my capsule, so I wanted to bring in some of the berry colors from the dress. The fabric from the maternity dress is a beautiful jeweled tone shade. It is a 95/5 Rayon/Spandex blend. Super flowy, soft, and drapes perfectly. I used the existing hem in the dress as the hem of my shirt. That way, I have a nice finished hem built right in! 



For the sleeves, neckband and heart, I wanted to play on the same color tone, but with a slightly different texture. I've held onto this fabric for a little while now, and had no clue how I would use it. Last night it finally clicked, and I love how it turned out! This is a ribbed knit from Joann that definitely has some poly in it. I got it in the remnants bin (again, my favorite section of the store). I can't remember how much but it was about a quarter of yard, so it couldn't have been more than $3 (remnants are half off).

I made the heart by using this little shiny red cardboard cutout that came on a gift bag my mom gave me. I knew I could use that heart for something later, so I held onto it. It was the perfect size for a heart shaped fabric patch.


This shirt is a great basic that will pair well with my new skirt, with jeans, or with the pants & shorts I hope to make as part of this capsule. I can easily layer it with the Free Spirit Tank I just made (or the next one I'm going to make!). Raglan style shirts are probably my favorite to wear, especially a flowy one! I see more hearts in the future too... Maybe ones with wings? 




Thanks for following along this sewing challenge! I have 5 more items to make by April 10th. The possibility of winning that cover stitch machine is too sweet, so I'm determined to get this done!!


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig